3 tbsp. olive oil
14oz skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces seasoned
5 1⁄2oz dried chorizo, sliced
1 large onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
2 cups paella rice
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large pinches of saffron threads, soaked in 1⁄2 cup hot water for 10 minutes
14oz can chopped tomatoes
10oz small mussels
10oz raw, unpeeled large shrimp
1–2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 Preheat the slow cooker, if required. Heat the oil in a wide heavy-based frying pan over medium heat, add the chicken and seasoning, and cook for 10–12 minutes until browned all over. Remove and set aside. Cook the chorizo for 1–2 minutes on each side until browned. Also remove and set aside.
Add the onion and red bell pepper to the pan and cook for 5–7 minutes until soft. Add the rice and stir, so all the grains are coated, and cook for 2–3 minutes. Transfer the rice to the slow cooker, add the chicken and chorizo, then add the garlic, saffron with its soaking liquid, and seasoning. Push the chicken down into the rice, add the tomatoes, and pour over 1 cup water or just enough to cover.
2 Cover with the lid and cook on auto/low for 2 hours, adding the beans after 1 hour of cooking. Then turn the slow cooker to high, pour in 1⁄2 cup boiling water, add the mussels and shrimp, and continue cooking for 40 minutes. Remove the lid, cover with a dish towel, and let it stand for 5 minutes.
Discard any mussels that haven’t opened. Garnish with the parsley and serve.
5-pound bone-in ham or 2 bone-in shanks
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
1 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
½ cup balsamic vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1. Place ham in a 6-quart slow cooker.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together everything from brown sugar to soy sauce. Pour on top of ham.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
4. Pro tip: For a spicy kick, add 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the sauce.
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
10 slices of sandwich bread
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
90 grams cream cheese (3.5 oz., or 7 tbsp. (just less than a 1/2 cup))
1 tablespoon vanilla
Raisins, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF.
2. To make the caramel put the sugar in a pan over high heat, then add the water. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and cook until amber brown. Carefully remove from heat and immediately pour into a bundt pan.
3. Using a towel or pan holder to swirl the caramel all over the inside of the bundt pan.
4. To make the pudding, put all the ingredients in the blender and mix until smooth. Pour out all the mixture into the bundt mold.
5. Add a handful of raisins to the mixture.
6. Bake for about 1 hour or until the center of the pudding is jiggling still but no longer liquid.
7. Remove from the oven, let it cool completely and refrigerate overnight or for 12 hours.
8. Unmold the pudding and serve with more raisins.